In 1924, BarberMcMurry founders Charles and West Barber, along with their family and friends, made a two-day hike to the peak of Mt. LeConte in hopes of sparking interest in making the Smokies a national park. Those first hikers became the Smoky Mountains Hiking Club, and in just a decade saw the charter of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in 1934.
BarberMcMurry designed the National Park headquarters in Gatlinburg in the late 1930s. Construction of the headquarters was completed in 1940, in time for the dedication of the park "for the permanent enjoyment of the people" by President Franklin D. Roosevelt on September 2.
Completion Date: 1940
Location: Gatlinburg, Tennessee
© 2022 BarberMcMurry Architects